Doesn't God Care About My Family?

LAMPLIGHT DEVOTIONAL GUIDE

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”

Psalm 119:105 (NIV).

“Living From the Eternal Perspective”

A Devotional From

PATHH Ministries


DATE:

Thursday, February 24, 2011

HEADING

Doesn’t God Care about my Family?

By Napoleon Black

TEXT (2 Kings 4:1)



The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.” NIV

One day the wife of a man from the guild of prophets called out to Elisha, "Your servant my husband is dead. You well know what a good man he was, devoted to God. And now the man to whom he was in debt is on his way to collect by taking my two children as slaves." Message

NOW THE wife of a son of the prophets cried to Elisha, Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that your servant feared the Lord. But the creditor has come to take my two sons to be his slaves. Amp. Bible



COMMENTARY

For most of us, the closest thing we have to us is our family. Well, here is a man of God, who honoured and served the Lord and now he dies leaving his family in debt. His wife is traumatised that the debtors were on their way to take her two sons as payment for the debt of the dead man of God.


Well, where is God’s promise to take care, to provide for, and to prosper those who serve Him? Probably there was not even enough money left over to prepare this man for burial. Not only is the husband dead, but the woman is now about to lose her two sons as well. The family was now totally destroyed.


Sometimes serving God takes a toll on the family in other ways as well. The assurance lies in the fact that even in this hard and difficult place of having already lost a husband and now was about to lose her sons, the woman knew her source was in the Lord.



Something to Meditate on:

God’s family was broken by the death of His Son.



A decision I need to make


How am I responding to the strain in my family?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time To Major In The Minors

Your Slice of Online Real Estate